Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Thailand Scorpion



As I was walking along a dirt road with Celine, minding my own business, contemplating dinner choices, I felt a sting on my toe, right above my nail. At first I thought I clipped a bit of broken glass and continued on towards our bungalow. Mild curiosity took over a step or so later so I turned around to investigate. My eyes widened and mouth dropped when I saw a mean looking scorpion right where the broken glass should be. Alarmed, I told Celine, who on view of her first ever scorpion started panicking a little: where we come from, a scorpion sting is not to be taken lightly. She jumped to the Thai lady selling pancakes nearby, deciding in a split second that the local lady's reaction would give us a good idea of the gravity of the situation: if she looked alarmed then alarmed we would be too. The lady raised her eyebrows and in gestures explained that the scorpion could sting. Then she laughed. Celine was slightly reassured and came back to me. What I should highlight though is that Celine forgot to tell me the whole thing when she found me still shocked in disbelief by the side of the road, and just took me straight to our bungalows reception ladies.

After I saw the scorpion, almost at once my mind went into overdrive; I am on an island a long way from any kind of medical help, the closest pharmacy is two beaches away and is closed more often than not. The previous day, the lady at the pharmacy had had problems recommending anti allergy medication for Celine so any insight on venomous monsters would be hopeless. In short I started to shit myself. With thoughts of venom spreading through my veins I tried to muster all the first aid knowledge I had and came to the realisation I had to cut my toe off, and quick.

But then as you know, Celine and I opted to discuss my predicament with the ladies at our bungalow reception before any amputation surgery. I think the anticipation of their response caused some panic, a heat rush to my face, which I took as the venom taking affect. With increased anxiety my heart started to race as I tried to explain what happened.

The girls didn't seem too worried about it and said I was very unlucky as scorpions are pretty rare. It turns out it is only the pain of the sting that causes you any problems, unless of course you are allergic, like with a bee sting. Just to be sure, as the Thais are generally very relaxed, I asked a couple extra times....."Am I going to die tonight?". After laughing and confirming this was not going to happen they cleaned the cut and put some tiger balm on. Celine and I could finally breathe easy.

A few hours later Celine was kind enough to explain to me the pancake lady episode and how it had helped her first rush of panic. Wish I could say the same: cheers for sharing, wifey!

I got my revenge by eating a grilled scorpion when I reached Bangkok.

Traduction à la première personne, c’est Dan qui parle, pas moi.
Tonsai beach, Thailande. Alors que je marchais pénard sur un chemin de terre, me demandant ce que j’allais manger ce soir, j’ai senti une douleur, comme une coupure, au bout de mon orteil. J’ai tout de suite pensé à un eclat de verre, et me retounant pour constater le fait, j’ai vu par terre, à la place de l’éclat de verre auquel je m’attendais... un scorpion. Quelque peu alarmé, je l’ai dit à Céline qui a regardé le scorpion sans comprendre, palissante. Pendant que je restais sous le choc, Celine a abordé la première personne locale qu’elle a trouvé : la marchande de crêpes, et lui a montré le scorpion du doigt. Son instint était de sonder la premiere réaction de quelqu’un de local : si la dame paraissait alarmée, alors alarmés nous serions aussi. En l’occurence la marchande de crêpes à levé les sourcils, expliqué par gestes que les scorpions peuvent piquer (merci madame la marchande de crêpes) et éclaté de rire. Ca a tout de suite calme Céline. Mais quand elle m’a vu sous le choc elle m’a pris par la main et emmené vers la reception de notre hotel-bungalow, malheureusement omettant au passage de me dire ce qu’elle venait de constater.
J’étais sous le choc parce que pendant que Celine parlait à la crêpiere, moi je tournais le secnario dans ma tête : petit ile Thailandaise loin de tout. Pas de docteur. Une pharmacie deux plages plus loin, fermée à cette heure, ou de totue facon la pharmacienne locale avait été incapable la veille de me recommender un médoc pour Celine et son allergie au soleil, autant vous dire qu’elle ne saurait pas quoi faire devant une piqure de scorpion. Gloups. Puis j’ai essayé de faire appel à toutes mes connaissances de premier secours et me rendant compte que j’en n’avais absolument aucune, suis arrive à la conclusion qu’il allait falloir qu’on me coupe l’orteil.
Du coup quand on s’est presentés aux filles de la réception, et je redoutais tellement leur réaction que ma tête s’est mise à tourner, ce que j’ai pris pour un effet du venin. Mais les filles n’ont pas eu l’ai inquiètes du tout, et m’on expliqué que meme si je n’avais vraiment pas de pot parce que les scorpions sont rares dans ce coin, je n’avais à redouter qu’un peu de douleur et au pire une réaction allergique comme parfois pour les piqures de guêpes. Elles m’ont mis du baume du tigre sur l’orteil et donne un nurofen. J’ai respiré. Celine aussi. Mais elle semblait plus calme que moi de toute facon… quand je lui ai demandé pourquoi, elle m’a expliqué la réaction de la crêpière qui l’avait rassurée tout de suite. Humm.. J’aurais aimé pouvoir en dire autant. Merci pour le partage d’info pendant la crise, Leg!
Pour me venger, quand on est arrivés a Bangkok quelques jours plus tard, j’ai bouffé un scorpion grillé.

No comments:

Post a Comment