Friday, June 18, 2010

Working at the World Cup

My crazy few weeks of work and study have come to an end which means I can get back to the things I enjoy; writing on my blog and watching football. At the start of June I began my two month contract with Language Link (my first actual contract since being in Vietnam). The contract is a full on Summer session of teaching which keeps you at school all day from Monday to Friday. Because I was starting at a new school I had to wind down my current hours. This couldn't be done immediately and resulted in a two week transition period where I was teaching most nights as well. I was also working Sunday's so it is fair to say it was quite busy. Celine, the legend, covered the Saturday classes so I could have one day off.

I used the Saturdays to study for my two exams; Commercial Law and Business on the Internet. Exciting, I know. I study through Deakin Uni by distance learning and sit my exams in Hanoi. It was a hectic two weeks and as a result I had no time to post or really do anything else. I finished my exams last Tuesday and stopped covering the night shifts around the same time. I am very happy to be able to relax a bit now but I am not complaining - the few weeks were good for the bank account.

Now I have replaced the tiredness from the teaching with tiredness as a result of watching the World Cup. With the time differences it means games are showed in Hanoi at 6.30pm, 9pm and 1.30am. The first Australia game was at 1.30am so I went to sleep for a few hours and got up to watch the match against Germany. I should have stayed in bed. Our TV has all the games but every pub or cafe has it playing as well. The atmosphere watching the games is not that great but the Vietnamese love football and are talking about it constantly. Australia's all important match against Ghana is tomorrow so I hope we put in a better performance.

Well, that is what I have been up to. I am still working Monday to Friday and Sunday in the daytime, until the end of July, but I am happy with that workload.

Come on the Aussies!!!

1 comment: