Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lunch in Hanoi


A few times a week, not to far from my house, I stop and have lunch at this street restaurant. It is a bit like a buffet setup where you get a plate of rice and pick what you want. There is always a decent selection to choose from including chicken, pork, fish, prawns, various vegetables, potatoes, fried spring rolls and even some nuts.

Today I opted for some chicken and pork with a fried egg and some beans. They gave me a soup but I didn't like it that much. I had a Pepsi as well. The tables are simple and you sit on plastic chairs. The tables generally have chopsticks and spoons, fish sauce, some napkins and a bowl of chillies and lemon. I really like the place. It feels very local, always quite full of Vietnamese enjoying their lunch. Their eyes wander towards me a bit because not too many foreigners eat there. I don't mind the attention. I keep telling myself it's because I am so damn good looking.
Not only is the experience enjoyable it is very cheap. My lunch and the Pepsi costs 25,000 Vietnamese Dong or about $1.50 US. Seriously, who can complain with that!

3 comments:

  1. Do u eat it with the lime, chilli, salt and pepper mix on the side? We picked it up in Vietnam and have been eating it every chance we get any where we go. Then again I have always been addicted to chilli.
    Btw have enjoyed reading your blogs sounds like u are making the most of life in Vietnam and getting to know the Asian way of life. It's been amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, often, however I usually don't have pepper. Lime or lemon, I am usually not that fussed, mixed with salt and chilli is great. I am just loving Vietnam, and Asia in general. The culture and the way of life is interesting and fun to be a part of.

    Glad you like the blog. Keep enjoying yourself and give us a buzz if you are ever in the area.

    Cheers Von

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was just wondering what to have for lunch - doesn't look half bad especially if there is chilli involved. Order a vertual (How do you spell it!!) serve for me :)Suey

    ReplyDelete